6200 police officers will conduct the electoral process. During the 3312 electoral activities, we are dealing only with 36 insignificant and minor incidents.
TIRANA – 22 June 2013. Director General of State Police, Hysni Burgaj announced earlier this morning that it has taken all the necessary measures for the smooth running of the election process. In a press release, Burgaj announced that 6200 police officers will conduct the electoral process, in case of need to intervene in areas where there may be problems.
“6,200 Police officers have been mobilized to cover the CEC’s and Polling Stations. To ensure coverage of all service facilities of election we have made movement about 750 police troopers from the State Police Directorate of Tirana District and Regional Directorates on Border Migration into those areas, where the number of facilities can not be covered by their local police. They have to ensure the right to vote and to take all the measures including the use of vehicles and buses. On the following days, during and after the e-day until the end of the election process, the operation of State Police will focus on:
1) Protection of the polling station,
2) Intervention in the polls, only upon the request of the polling committees to restore order and public order.
3) Procedural actions for all events or incidents that may occur during the electoral process, collaborating with local prosecution.
4) Escorting of voting materials from the polling stations to ballot counting centers.
5) Cooperation and coordination with representatives CEAZ in compliance with the requirements of the Electoral Code.
6) Monitoring of Public Security, the steering groups of the central government level, and gathering the detailed information on any violations of the electoral process, in order to prevent such events.
7) Escorting of voting materials from counting centers to the Central Election Commission.
Police Director Hysni Burgaj announced that the submission of election facilities by police services start at 18.00, with the arrival of election materials at these facilities. “We are prepared and ready to act at any momenthe continued. In connection with the electoral campaign, said the director Burgaj, insignificant incidents were recorded, and managed by security police in 3312 election activities. “The State Police officers were involved on only taking measures to ensure the progress of the activities programmed by electoral parties or independent candidates. In this framework, the State Police is cooperating closely with the organizers of these activities. During this period the State Police structures have managed public safety during the 3312 electoral activities, a figure which is over two times higher than previous 2011 elections. During the election process, it is estimated a decrease in the number of election incidents and events related to the electoral process, over 16 times less than the previous process. The largest number of the minor incidents occurred in the district of Tirana, Elbasan, Shkodra and Vlora. We emphasize that we are dealing only with insignificant and minor incidents, the most notable were the damages actions for breaches of posters, symbols, flags, the electoral offices of political parties, While in 25% of cases we are dealing with threats against representatives of political parties,- said Burgaj.